Many people question that can they make money with affiliate marketing? And the answer is definitely YES, you can. You can work part or full time depending on your situation. Just like any other income earning sources, success does come to those who do correctly what needs to be done and in a consistent manner.
Affiliate marketing is a home-based business. Just as any other business has to be nurtured same applies to affiliate marketing. It is not a get-rich-quick program. It needs a lot of hard work. There are claims that people make huge money by doing almost nothing. Just set up an affiliate site and then relax and keep checking your bank account. The reality is, hands full of people do make lot and lot of money, a good number are successful to meet their goals but there are lots of people who did not make anything.
It is not what affiliate marketing can do for you; it is what you can do for affiliate marketing that will reward you. It is you who have to decide, not the other way round. Discussed below are pros and cons of affiliate marketing.
Pros of affiliate marketing
There are several aspects of affiliate marketing that makes it an excellent home business option.
- The initial cost to start the business is low. Most affiliate programs are free to join. The cost that is required is related to your referral and/or marketing methods.
- No need to make a product or service. No logistics required.
- No need to manage inventory or ship the product.
- As long as you have internet access you can work from anywhere and anytime.
- Potential of your passive income depends on how well you market your affiliates programs.
- It can be a supplement to your current home business so as to create additional income source. It is good for information entrepreneurs, bloggers, content writers and anyone who has a website and passion to follow.
Cons of affiliate marketing
As there are opportunities in affiliate marketing there are also few challenges to make money from affiliate marketing.
- The income of affiliate marketer depends upon the amount of traffic generated to bring sales. It takes time for traffic to increase so as to generate sufficient income.
- You will not be given credit for your referral if affiliate hijacking occurs. In this circumstance, URL masking can help you.
- One should always try to work with quality businesses. An awful affiliate can destroy your credibility in the market.
- You will have no control over what businesses produce or serve or how they go about their business.
- Many companies dupe their marketer by not paying any commission that they are intended to receive. There are ways to segregate good companies from bad, hence choose quality affiliate programs only.
- For any good affiliate program, there will be many other affiliates who will be promoting it. Hence competition will be very high for those programs.
- As an affiliate, your data will reveal how much sales were made and of which product but you will have no information about who made the purchases. This makes things difficult to promote for re-sales. Since customers are in direct contact with the merchant.
All said and done, affiliate marketing is not too difficult. It does require on your part right connections, a proper planning, sound knowledge and consistent efforts to make a good income in a long run.